I love the White Stripes. In their faint-echoes-of-Zeppelin Icky Thump, is this line:
You can’t be a pimp and a prostitute, too.
You either run the show and people come to you, or you let others run the show and you take their orders. In the first case, other people do what you tell them. In the second, you do what other people tell you.
If you try to have it both ways, you will be miserable. You have to decide which one you are and be that.
I’m deliberately using a provocative analogy to which you are bringing your own baggage. Personally I have no problem with prostitution itself as a livelihood but I do have a problem with how badly they’re often treated. If you want to work for others and fulfill orders, if you’re really good at it and you enjoy it then more power to you. The world needs you. Thousands of potential clients out there need you. Do what you do and do it proudly. Sorry if you don’t like my analogy, but you’re the best kind of prostitute. The world needs truly awesome prostitutes.
Not all prostitutes are driven by desperation or addiction into their line of work. If you’re just doing it for the money, what you’ll soon discover is that you’ll do just about anything for money, and there’s no pride or dignity in that. You need a higher reason.
But if you’ve just realized that you’ve secretly (and unknown even to yourself) been trying to be a pimp and a prostitute both at the same time, you may be suddenly realizing why some things about your online business aren’t working the way you’d hoped:
- You can’t raise your prices
- Your advice is ignored or argued
- The client places the burden of his success on you instead of himself
- Clients become demanding and expect more than they deserve
- Clients are grasping, needy, whining and argumentative
- You have trouble getting paid
If this sounds like you, you’re not a very good prostitute. You either need to be a better whore or you need to become something else.
Are you a prostitute who wishes you were a pimp?
We’ve all heard the stories of the prostitute who later becomes the all-powerful madam. You can do that, too, if you want to. How?
- Sell advice at a premium, not services for pennies
- Sell information products 24 hours a day, not your precious, limited time
- Trade value for money, not your time for dollars–time is in fact not money, because there is no amount of money worth your precious time (how much time would a million dollars buy you on your deathbed?)
- Cut people off who can’t deal with your new change
- Reposition, rebrand, redesign and relaunch
Pimpin’ ain’t easy
Things will go much, much faster and easier for you if you have help along the way. That’s what I’m here for. I have only 3 coaching slots left until I’m maxed. This is high-value monthly retainer coaching that gives you high levels of access to me as we get your online business and its marketing to the next level. If you’re interested, contact me to set up a free consultation call.