Are you really doing anything with it?
If you’re like most people, the answer to that is no.
We can only devote so much time and attention spread across various social media sites. Something’s gotta give. Some sites we personally click with more than others. The way I look at it, you’re better off working with the ones you like.
It’s no secret I love Twitter and barely tolerate Facebook or LinkedIn. I still enjoy having whatever reach and influence I can muster on those other sites, but most of my energy goes into Twitter. There have been times when I’ve even considered just getting rid of any social media profiles on services I don’t love.
However, I think that would be short-sighted. I’m expected to know a thing or two about these sites and so use them even though I’d never claim to have any credibility with using them for marketing (I do feel comfortable saying that about myself regarding Twitter).
But back to LinkedIn.
Here’s a couple thoughts to get the ball rolling, here (because for this I’m essentially going to place this in your hands):
- LinkedIn is great if your clientele is businesses which are big enough to have employees.
- LinkedIn is great if you’re employed rather than an entrepreneur.
- LinkedIn is great if you’re a freelancer, due to its powerful recommendation feature.
- LinkedIn is not so hot if your idea of marketing is having a good time and posting stuff that’s humorous or casual.
- LinkedIn isn’t so great if you’re not looking for a job or to hire someone.
I could be totally wrong on these, but these are my impressions of LinkedIn. I have the feeling I’m not alone in this. Like any social media service, you get out of it what you put into it. There are some folks out there suggesting LinkedIn is a virtual goldmine of leads and contacts if you know how to work it. Maybe they’re right.
So here’s my question for you: what do YOU think of LinkedIn? Anybody who knows more about this than me is welcome to share their thoughts, experiences, tips and warnings. If you or anyone you know is particularly enthusiastic and knowledgeable about LinkedIn and would like to write a guest post on it here at Remarkablogger, please let me know.