UPDATE: I’ve closed comments on this, because it was so popular that the list of blogs for people to visit is getting too long. This isn’t a bad thing, it’s a wonderful thing! Rest assured I will do this again in the near future! But for now, I’d like to thank all of you who participated in this. Keep an eye out for the next one!
When your blog is new, the one thing you want more than anything else is traffic.
There are many people at any given moment starting blogs, every minute of every day, in a vacuum as if there were nobody else out there to read their blog.
I want to try a little experiment in boosting blog traffic. Keep reading to see how it’s going to go.
The Golden Rule at Work
If you just started a blog and want a little traffic boost, here’s what you do:
- Leave a comment with your blog’s URL in the website field and describe your blog in a short paragraph.
- Make sure you subscribe to the comments so that you get alerted on every new comment.
- Every time a new comment is added, go and visit that blog! This is simply the golden rule at work: do for others as you would have them do for you.
- Subscribe to the other blogs’ RSS feeds.
- Stumble a post or two from the blog.
- Write a post on your own blog about the new blogs you have found and link to them.
You Must Participate for this to Succeed
If you just submit your link and that’s it, well, nothing’s gonna happen. The more you give, the more you get. Spend time visiting the other blogs, commenting and subscribing to their feeds.
You will also get some traffic from my readers who have already been blogging for a while. I’d like to encourage my regular readers to spread the link to this post around: this is one of those the-more-the-merrier kinds of things. So please link, stumble, and bookmark at Delicious. I’m not making any promises about huge traffic, but you’ll probably get more than from BlogRush, let’s put it that way.
My comments are moderated. The following will be deleted or marked as spam:
- Automated blogs or splogs
- Adult content blogs
- Content about illegal activities
- Hate speech
- Anything that seems suspicious to me or that isn’t above-board
Your blog has to be less than 3 months old
Updated: Your blog can be older than three months old–I’ve made an “executive override decision” on this, since it seems, at second thought, to be an unnecessary barrier to participation.
Ready? Post your new blog URL in the comments!